Thursday, April 27, 2006

A Video Game Post

First of all, just because it's such big news, Nintendo has announced the new name of the Revolution. It is now called "Wii." Like, as in "we." The reasoning behind the name can be found at the official source.
My thoughts? I think the name is incrediably stupid, but not as stupid as the rallying cry behind it. However, I think that the stupidest thing of all is that I find myself giving a damn.

So let's move on. I recently came across a delightful freeware game designed by this one Japanese guy calling himself Studio Pixel. The game, Cave Story, or Doukutsu Monogatari by its Japanese name, is designed with the best aspects of sidescrolling shooters like Metroid or Castlevania. The gameplay, the art direction, the sound, and the design in general are fantastic. It features a story that's not over the top and has a cast of interesting and well-designed characters. But I'm not going to rant about what I liked about this game; instead I'm going to present this tribute site, where the game is downloadable along with an English patch. Go play it for yourself.

No comments: